Grant Opportunities

Dartmouth encourages faculty members to engage in international research collaborations that advance their own scholarship and address global challenges. A sample of agencies that provide external support for international collaboration can be found below. Faculty conducting research outside the United States should consult the Office of Sponsored Projects for information on export controls and compliance matters.

Council of American Overseas Research Centers

The Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC) supports research in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences for U.S. faculty and doctoral candidates. Applicants are eligible to apply as individuals or in teams. Scholars must carry out research in two or more countries outside the United States, at least one of which hosts a participating American overseas research center.

German Academic Service Exchange

German Academic Service Exchange (DAAD) offers a range of opportunities for academic travel to Germany open to students, faculty and administrators. Funding is available for research, visiting professorships, and numerous other programs.

Fulbright Distinguished Chairs Program

Administered by the Council for International Exchange of Scholars, the Fulbright Distinguished Chairs Program comprises approximately 40 distinguished research and lecturing awards ranging from three to 12 months. Candidates should be senior scholars with a significant and prominent publication and teaching record. 

Fulbright Scholar Program

The Fulbright Scholar Program sends nearly 800 people to 140 countries annually to lecture, conduct research or participate in seminars for varying periods of time. Programs also enable professionals from other countries to come to the U.S. is an online access point for over 900 grant programs offered by a wide variety of US Federal agencies. Many opportunities highlighted through the system call for international scholarly collaboration.

Horizons 2020

Horizons 2020 is primarily for citizens of EU nations and certain associated countries. Faculty members in the US can work as experts on long-term research projects or participate in international consortia with EU partner institutions.

Japan Society for the Promotion of Science

Established in 1932 and administered by the Ministries of Education, Science, Sports and Culture, the JSPS provides support for international research networks. It also promotes scientific research performed by Japanese scholars at a universities outside of Japan, and supports joint international research.

International Research and Exchanges Board

IREX sponsors a broad range of fellowship opportunities for masters, pre-doctoral and postdoctoral research, as well as for senior scholars, professionals and policymakers.

National Science Foundation

The NSF Office of International Science and Engineering (OISE) supports programs to expand and enhance leading-edge international collaborative research and education opportunities for U.S. scientists and engineers, especially at the early career stage.

National Science Foundation Partnerships for International Research and Education

The PIRE program supports international research activities in NSF-supported disciplines. Its goal is to encourage global engagement by members of the U.S. science community and support research projects that are enhanced by international collaboration.

Social Science Research Council Fellowships

The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) offers a variety of fellowships, grants and associated activities with special emphasis on the growing internationalization of social issues. SSRC fellowship and grants programs engage themes ranging from global issues facing the U.S. and Japan, to security, drugs and democracy in Latin America, to approaches to the study of contentious politics.

United States Agency for International Development

USAID is the lead US government agency that coordinates and supports programs addressing extreme poverty, improved infrastructure, and technical assistance to countries seeking to develop resilient democracies.

Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Program

Administered by the Institute of International Education, the Fulbright-Hays Faculty Research Abroad Program allows faculty to conduct research abroad in languages and area studies to enhance their existing expertise. Funds support travel and research-related expenses. Applicants must have two prior years of in teaching in language or area studies relevant to their expertise.